Re: question about contracting

Subject: Re: question about contracting
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:39:10 -0400

Learning new skills may be the primary sales and survival skill of a
contractor or employee, I think the primary ethical standard is to be
honest when the skills required cannot be learned in the time permitted.
I'd even challenge the first statement considering the first skill a
contractor has to have is not learning new skills but to have the skill to
estimate the time, cost, and feasibility of a project.

It was inappropriate, IMO, for John and Dan to take the dig-in without
knowing the whole situation. I'd think it would be obvious, that while you
can't learn to swim without getting wet, that there's a huge difference
between jumping in at the deep end and being parachuted into the middle of
the Atlantic.

I would think that if you were honest with the client, they would release
you and then vent their wrath on the vendor. The vendor would undoubtedly
only have recourse against you if they could prove that you misrepresented
your skills.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed