Re: Single Spacing, Double Spacing, and Doing It Ones Own Way [VERY LONG]

Subject: Re: Single Spacing, Double Spacing, and Doing It Ones Own Way [VERY LONG]
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 20:32:29 -0400

I think Bruce and Geoff have done a great job of elucidating most of the issues that have arisen in this thread, and I was proud of myself for biting my tongue (fingers, perhaps?) all day and staying out of the fray. But now I'd like to shed at least a little light, if possible, into some obscure corners that others have missed.

First, the history of the double space.

Lucy Connor, in the To Space or not to Space thread last week, cited an author who, like many others, and like some folks today, claims that the double space somehow improves the readability of monospace fonts. As I wrote to Lucy off-list:

A single space after a period in monospaced fonts looks just fine to our modern eyes, so his explanation (used by many other authors as well) is specious.

Here is a more accurate reason, based on my analysis of my collection of typographic specimens and my knowledge of the history of typography. The typewriter was commercialized toward the end of the 19th century. The purpose of the typewriter was to offer businesses a low-cost way to produce documents that superficially resemble typeset documents. That is, it was marketed as a "_type_ writer," not as an "automatic secretary," for example.

In order to foster the rapid adoption of the technology, secretarial schools quickly instituted courses. I don't know whether these courses were underwritten by typewriter manufacturers, but I imagine that a lot of the course material was initially provided by them. The manufacturers, being focused on the device's ability to emulate the typeset page, promoted a typing style that accomplished that as well as they could.

Meanwhile, typsetting, which began as a closely guarded art and initially emulated the beautiful medieval monastic manuscripts in order to appeal to its market, had devolved to its lowest point in history by the mid-nineteenth century. Then, as now, compositors charged by the thousand ems. In order to provide the lowest possible bid on a commercial job, sharp operators needed to keep their costs down, and one way to do that was to reduce the labor of setting those thousand ems. The solution was to space out the text as much as possible (faster for the hand pegger, more ems per hour, lower cost per thousand ems). If you look at 19th-century commercial work (not literary or scholarly work, much of which maintained _some_ esthetic standards), you can find many examples where there is no hyphenation (don't need to employ English-speaking peggers) and the lines are spaced out with large word spaces and with spaces after a period that vary from an em to three or four ems in extreme examples.

This sorry state of affairs led to severe criticism from artists and writers in the Arts and Crafts movement--notably William Morris--and that was the beginning of the modern typographic esthetic, which dictates a _uniform color_ of the typeset page as a standard of quality (and this standard, of course, dictates a uniform word space after the period, which, happily, is also the easiest way to set type with the then-new Linotype). But that movement didn't really hit its stride until the first decades of the twentieth century, and the older, artless, practices of commercial typesetting continued at least until the 1950s, especially in smaller shops with older employees.

So the secretarial schools worked to emulate the then-current typeset page, with its huge pigeonholes [not rivers, which are formed by pigeonholes that are contiguous to each other as you scan down a paragraph] between sentences. And thus was born the two-space rule.

Now you know, if you've ever met a secretarial school graduate, that these institutions are about as hidebound and rigid as they come. Once they had established their typing rules, those rules remained in place until, as far as I know, today. High school typing teachers all came out of secretarial schools, and here we are. Welcome to the twenty-first century.

As for whether one should waste one's precious time worrying about such things, no, of course not. But if you already have internalized an understanding of the craft of typesetting, it takes no longer to do it well than to do it poorly (as Bruce said). And if you have not already internalized that understanding and don't want to be bothered, then perhaps the world would be a slightly more pleasant place if you would organize your life so that someone else took on that part of the job for you. In other words, if you hate maintaining the pretense that you know how to put together a page, stop pretending and delegate it to someone else. That would be much more appropriate than belittling people who know something you don't know.

Harrumph!

Dick

Bruce Byfield wrote:

My position is that design knowledge is simply something you should have. But, whether to use one or two spaces after a period shouldn't be something you agonize over, any more than you should waste more than a second wondering whether to use "email" or "e-mail." You should simply know what the options are, and apply what's appropriate.

Also, it occurs to me that the importance of design depends on exactly what you do for a living. My situation varies, but I often work on the marketing and business side. Often, too, I do as much design and managing as writing. Sometimes, my employment doesn't involve writing at all. In this space, design is undoubtedly a much deeper concern than it is in the pure tech-writing space.

Still, I submit that, even in pure tech-writing, if you can add design expertise and still make your deadlines, then most clients or employers appreciate the fact that you are going the extra mile for them. I don't think that will ever change, no matter how practical and bottom-line the mood becomes. Design, usability knowledge, programming expertise - anything extra that you can bring to your work without sacrificing the core - is going to be valued.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com