Re: Re: Single Spacing, Double Spacing, and Doing It Ones Own Way

Subject: Re: Re: Single Spacing, Double Spacing, and Doing It Ones Own Way
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:28:48 -0700

At 11:47 AM 5/12/2004 -0700, Bruce Byfield wrote:

Still, I submit that, even in pure tech-writing, if you can add design
expertise and still make your deadlines, then most clients or employers
appreciate the fact that you are going the extra mile for them.

This has been very true for me. I focus more than anything on the structure and content of every manual and help system I create. In my current job and the one just before this, I have been the first (and only) tech writer here, so as I was learning enough of the technology to begin writing, I created templates that I could use to do that writing. Each time I spent only a day or so to create page layouts that I felt would work well to present the information, and at both jobs I heard comments that let me know it made a difference.

In fact, in my performance review a couple months ago, my manager (the CTO and VP of Engineering) mentioned that "not only are our documents well written, but also very good looking." He continued, saying that he always takes time to show prospective clients the documentation "because its thoroughness, organization, and layout really add to the fit and finish of the product."

I'm not saying this to toot my own horn, but to show an example where a bit of up-front attention to document design made a difference.

martha
--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Too many words bring about exhaustion."
--Tao Te Ching, chapter 5 (translated by Sheets/Tovey)

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com