Convert table-intensive word doc to .pdf?

Subject: Convert table-intensive word doc to .pdf?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 19:08:27 -0400

Sarah Vasil wonders: <<I have a large Word file (1066 KB) comprised almost entirely of tables. When I convert it to .pdf, the file gets even larger (1369 KB). It looks like Acrobat is treating the tables like graphics. Am I right?>>

That sounds like a fairly small file, actually: 1000K = 1 Meg. I've distilled much bigger files with no problems. Is the number correct? If it truly is a large file, this suggests that there are graphics you're forgetting, since Word is reasonably efficient in creating and managing tables.

A few tricks often work well to slim down bloated Word files:
- If you're using versioning (under the File menu), delete all the old versions, then save the file. Versions use up ridiculous amounts of space, and increase the fragility of a document.
- Do a "Save as" under a new name. Even when you're not using "fast saves" (a recipe for disaster), Word often accumulates garbage in a file, and resaving it under a new name can clean out the garbage.
- If that doesn't work, select the entire file except the terminal paragraph marker (a backwards P), and copy it into a new file. Then save the new file. When Word does accumulate amazing amounts of garbage, it's often stored in that final P.

Acrobat wouldn't treat the _tables_ as graphics, but might very well be treating the table _ornamentation_ as graphics. For example, you didn't mention what kinds of lines you used for borders on the tables, whether you used shading in any cells, and so on. I have vague memories of reading that Acrobat has problems with the way that Word defines such things and that this can increase file bloat.

<<I've tried to use the Reduce File Size option in Acrobat, but it does not help.>>

Have you also checked the font embedding options? If you've got multiple fonts in the table, and are embedding each one, that can certainly cause file bloat. (Not a likely option, but an easy possibility to check.) Another thing: check the "compatibility" options (which version of Acrobat is being used to define compatibility). Trying an older format, which supports fewer features (particularly those related to color) may help.

<<The .pdf is going on our website and it takes forever to open on older machines.>>

Have you tried zipping the file? That often doesn't work (PDF is reasonably efficient), but sometimes you get lucky. If all else fails, create a PDF of each individual section of the file, and provide a good table of contents that lets the user decide which file to download rather than downloading all the files. You can still provide a single master PDF file, but allowing the option of downloading only the parts that are needed is a kindness to the user.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com