RE: Why WYSIWYG for XML???

Subject: RE: Why WYSIWYG for XML???
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:01:28 -0700

STOP ME BEFORE I TYPE AGAIN!

Ok, let me start with a controversial rhetorical question. Are we now saying that technical writers should be tools weenies over and above subject-matter experts? Have I not seen some switching of sides here (much as I saw staunch conservatives argue that pornography isn't a bad thing in the Clarence Thomas hearings)?

Let me use a real-world example. I have had the pleasureof working on a project to bring structure and semantical markup to the process of drafting laws for a world-famous gvmt. A few things of note:

The goal is specifically *not* "single-sourcing" to Print, Help, HTML, Cell Phones, and Play Stations. OTOH, when a bill goes from one congressional body to another, then the look must change to match the given "house". Ok, so that's single-sourcing, but only the look is to change, so one could *ostensibly* accomplish that with templates alone.
The final output for a given house must look a certain way, and requires gvmt fiat (read tax-funded committees) to change the "look and feel".
The processing advantages that come with markup are worth the cost. What bills does the current bill cite? What bills cite the current bill? What amendments are accepted, rejected, in-process, and where are they in process? Who sponsired the bill, and for this phase of debate is that important? I'm sure you can see the possibilities are rich.

These folks who draft these things are *busy* people. It's amazing (and an honor) that they take enough interest in the tools to provide test cases, try out beta versions, help specify the requirements, etc. Clearly, they're motivated. But they're not motivated to learn how to edit this stuff in angle-brackets. In fact, anything that falls too short of WYSIWYG is simply not acceptable. They use *visual* cues to maintain their notions of hierarchy, emphasis, and other things of import - things that are transmitted via formatting.

LESSONS LEARNED:
1) Not all writing projects are based on manuals that are "multi-purposed" to print, HTML, and Help.
2) There is a vast universe of writing that is grounded in tradition (we've had laws for some time now), and requires subject-matter expertise to a degree that makes learning angle-brackets not an annyoance, but a real impediment.
3) In this particular case, bringing the legion of "writers" up to speed on XML would amount to socializing the support of XML. These people are paid by the tax payer. In their wisdom (whatever you judge that to be) they determined that the cost of implementing a WYSIWYG interface to the semantic markup was far and away less than the cost of hammering their co-workers into an XML world-view. (And I'd be willing to bet that the Americans most stridently arguing against WYSIWYG are among those who most stridently argue in favor of free markets and against socializing technology.)

4) If XML is to be widely accepted, it must be presentable to a wide range of users.

And this is not a lesson learned here, but an observation. There's nothing to say that you must use WYSIWYG when creating XML. The question should really be, why don't I get to control the presentation of the information as I'm authoring it, so I can see it in the form most useful to me? Nothing stops a FrameMaker user from tweaking his template/EDD so he sees his units in chunks of whatever size and format. If you want Courrier for all your elements, you can have it. If you want a separate page for every <para>, you can have it. Actually, people do this all the time. And they also do it with DTDs - why use the same DTD for editing small chunks vs compiling the final book?

I understand that the WYSIWYG requirement imposes a cost in both money and time to market for XML tools. But it just may be worth it. It just may be a requirement before the vast majority of people who product the world's written knowledge will ever put their knowledge into the more processor-friendly form known as XML.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com