RE: Paper Manual to Online Help - where to start?

Subject: RE: Paper Manual to Online Help - where to start?
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 23:31:17 -0400

::: Firstly, sorry I forgot to mention that the manuals are
::: currently in Word
::: XP, and there is budget to pay for software - I think he's
::: just trying prove that he's a frugal project manager.

Nothing wrong with that. :-)

::: I personally liked the PDF idea, but when I put it to my
::: client he agreed
::: that it was a great one-off solution, but was outlined that
::: he was hoping
::: for a solution that would easily be updateable by the users.

I don't understand...

::: The staff here are not extensive Word users, and while they
::: could open the
::: manuals and update or add a procedure, they probably
::: wouldn't apply the
::: appropriate styles. Will the updating be any simpler in RoboHelp or
::: DocToHelp? After this update and conversion to online help, the
::: paper-based manuals will be discontinued.

No. If anything, it'll be more difficult withough training. If they can't
use Word appropriately, I doubt their ability to recreate a CHM or other
Help format after mucking around in the source project files. The PDF route
is the easy out. From Word, with Acrobat installed, click the Create PDF
button in the toolbar. Formatting is merely cosmetic in that scenario.

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com