RE: Word vs. Frame

Subject: RE: Word vs. Frame
From: "Humphries, Ola" <Ola -dot- Humphries -at- energy -dot- sungard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:49:35 -0500

Our software development firm has had several downsizings in the past two
years, during which all the writers who were using Word were let go and the
one writer (in the US anyway) who uses Frame (me) is still here. I believe
that part of the reason I am still here is that my Frame-produced products
had a more professional quality to them than did the Word-produced products.

The problem of SMEs and others preferring to work in Word is familiar to me.
I am the only person in our large office in Houston who knows Frame and
often have engineers and other SMEs wanting a Word version of a Frame
document to use for inserting their own edits and changes.

There are many ways to turn a Frame document into a Word document, but my
process is to take the PDF version of the Frame doc (which is how these docs
are delivered anyway), make an .rtf from the PDF, and open this in Word. If
the SME wants the graphics (which don't come across in this process), I open
the Frame doc alongside the new Word doc that has all the text, select the
graphics one by one in the Frame document and paste them in the proper
places in the Word document. Of course arrows and other things must be
re-inserted, but after awhile, you can do this quickly.
I use Frame 6.0 and Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (which my company is going to upgrade
to 6.0 soon).

We have a graphics person here who has PhotoShop on his PC. I guess he could
get by with Paint and PhotoEditor, but no one questions his need for a
higher-level software to do his job. Luckily, they also feel that a writer
deserves a professional package too.

Ola

Technical Writer
SunGard Energy Systems