Adobe Table in PageMaker?

Subject: Adobe Table in PageMaker?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:32:36 -0400

Betty Faulkner reports: <<I read an archive where you said that you had no problems with Adobe Table... I have nothing but problems!>>

For one thing, you may want to upgrade to PM 7 (the latest version). In my experience (mostly Mac, some PC), it's much more stable. Table runs fine, but is so frustrating to use that I've never done more than play with it. The biggest problem is that the tables aren't editable within PageMaker, so you're always forced to go back to Table with edits. Inefficient.

My recommendation: The easiest way to create tables is to send PageMaker tab-delimited text. You can then create a style for each table, set the tabs interactively (PM lets you preview the effects of a tab and drag tabs around until you get the desired columns). Voila! You know have fully editable text. Add any lines or shading that you need manually. If you put the tables in their own text box, the lines etc. travel easily with the table when you move it.

This approach doesn't work very well with long lines of text in a single column, since you have to manually break the text to fit. With that kind of table, you may have to resort to using Table. This raises your problems:

<<When I insert an existing table or create a new one in PageMaker, it is placed in the middle of my two-page spread. I
drag it into the column where I want it and change the text flow to above/below, but when I print the brochure, the table still prints in the middle of the two pages, even though it appears in the column on screen!>>

The table shouldn't inevitably be appearing in the middle of the spread; when you import a graphic or other object in PM, the cursor changes to an icon representing the type of thing you're importing so you can move the cursor to the desired location and drop the object there. You can drag the cursor to select the location where the object appears and the size of the object. Try this first. If it doesn't work, change your view to single-page mode rather than two-page spread. You may just have discovered a bug.

<<I also have really inconsistent results with being able to successfully modify and update linked tables (by double-clicking, working in Table, then returning to PageMaker). Sometime the Update button is available and not Save, and sometime it's the other way around.>>

If that's the case, close the PM file and open the table directly in Table. Save and close the file, then reopen the PM file. The table should now update correctly. I'm guessing the problem is that Table isn't successfully communicating to PM the fact that the table has changed, probably because the "edit in place" feature isn't setting some kind of flag properly. But closing and reopening a PM file should always update the linked files.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com