Re: Problems with developing a plugin

Subject: Re: Problems with developing a plugin
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:02:30 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <alessio -at- evolutionbook -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 8:28 AM
Subject: Problems with developing a plugin

> In particular, this process appears to work improperly when
there are some
> multipage tables: it seems Framemaker can't select
non-homogeneous part of
> the tables (so it can copy the entire table or only header row
or "normal"
> row) and it seems Framemaker can never copy a table together
with text out
> of the table.
>
> Are these statements correct? How would have you approached
such a
> problem? Any advice?

Alessio--

I don't know if this is correct for Frame--I've simply imagined a
simple object model and a couple of functions that might
logically be available:

Test whether there are tables in the material that has changed.
If so, then instead of grabbing the entire table, use the Table
object's Row object and the Page object's Number property to
iterate through each table row, checking to see if you are still
on the page you want to copy. Copy each row that meets the
criteria to the output document.

I am sorry if that is bad advice. I have had moments when I
wished I could develop apps based on Frame, but the bar was too
high for me at the time: the SDK was only available for
programming in C (do any tech writers get to write compiled
programs these days?), and the price of the SDK was exorbitant.
I should mention that this was when Frame Maker was still owned
by Frame, based in Massachusetts.

Do you have any time to brief me on what the Frame development
environment is like now? I am curious whether or not
high-level/scripting languages supported?

Ned Bedinger
Ed Wordsmith Technical Communications Co.
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
http://www.edwordsmith.com
tel: 360-434-7197
fax: 360-769-7059