Ethics of job-interview testing (cumulative reply)

Subject: Ethics of job-interview testing (cumulative reply)
From: Doug Cuff <subscribe -at- cuff -dot- mailshell -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 13:37:41 -0300

Evidently, I wrote up my experience too emotionally, and caused you to focus on the wrong thing. Let me try restating the problem, even though it's resolved, thanks to your help.

I don't mind showing samples of my technical writing. (Yes, I had brought several.) I don't mind taking a writing test for a theoretical product. (I prefer some sort of written test, in fact, precisely because it does help to level the playing field.)

However, I don't like being asked for a free sample. It bothers me. It's the first time it's ever happened to me, and because of that, I asked--tried to ask--if this were common and acceptable.

If you're a member of the WGA, the Guild protects you from yourself by stating that you are not allowed to write a screenplay "on spec." A producer isn't allowed to ask you, you're not allowed to say yes if asked, and you're not allowed to volunteer. Not even to get the job.

Even though I write manuals, not screenplays, and do not belong to any sort of union or guild, I think the analogy is valid. Particular thanks to David Locke for bringing up writing on speculation.

Here are the two questions I thought I was asking. (The variety of responses I got, public and private, indicate I could have done a better job by not bringing in the whole question of weird vibes.)

1. Have you ever been asked to write something for a company that they could theoretically use--that is, provide any kind of free sample? (The issue of whether they could/would actually do so is a quagmire I prefer to avoid.)

2. Is there any sort of informal ethical consensus on how to handle such a request?

The answers, if I have read your responses correct are No, you haven't, and No, there is no consensus. Thanks so much for your posts and e-mails!

And now, a few housekeeping matters:

I have submitted the sample they asked for, which I had intended to do unless at least two people here strongly advised against it. Again, thanks all 'round.

This is a small company, so the fact that I was interviewed by the president and CEO doesn't convey "status." The only actual employees I could swear exist were the receptionist who asked me to come in for an interview, the president, and the CEO.

Finally, one outright tangent:

The jocular reference to the luxury of turning down a job because of a weird vibe makes me wonder. If you interviewed at three companies, and got a strange vibe from one of them, how many would you consider eliminating that company from consideration to be a luxury? ;-)

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com