RE: Side note to "Ethics of job-interview testing"

Subject: RE: Side note to "Ethics of job-interview testing"
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:27:58 -0400

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 06/01/2004 05:08:02 PM:
> you wouldn't want them to play with you in a similar manner, would ya?

Why not? ;) If an interviewer gave me a loop like that, I'd call them on
it or run with it.

I once answered the HR Drone's question of "Where do you see yourself in 5
years?" with "Corner office, 3 day work week, six figure salary.". I
delivered with a complete deadpan and completely seriously. The stunned
silence that followed was priceless. After they finally came up with "You
can't be serious." I countered with "Not really, but what are the
promotion possibilities and time frame for the position you're offering?
After all, you know far more about the possibilities here than I do." I
was offered that job, unfortunately the techwriting one, but turned it
down for various reasons.

Seriously though, I figure you shouldn't leave the interview without
knowing all that you can about the company, its policies, its hierarchy,
etc. Gives you a chance to practice your interviewing skills and who
knows, there might be something else interesting/profitable that comes up
during the extended conversation.

I'd even consider taking the process all the way. See if you can be
seriously considered for the position and how much they figure you're
worth. Valuable information in subsequent interviews and negotiations.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com