RE: waking up to the world of Technical Writing

Subject: RE: waking up to the world of Technical Writing
From: <Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:02:56 -0700


David wrote: "Again, we must have different definitions of 'user experience.' In my experience, the UI is about 97% of the user experience."

I think this must depend in great measure on the type of product you are documenting. It certainly is not always true.

Case in point:
I'm documenting a gateway messaging security product. It filters e-mail for viruses, spam, etc. The product is (generally) used in a set-and-forget manner. The UI is about 3% of the user experience. The other 97% is the messaging filtering that occurs without further user intervention. This is "experienced" as a reduction in spam and the prevention of virus infections.

It's easy to confuse user goals with tasks, which seems to be happening here. The user goal in the example above is to prevent spam from consuming bandwidth and messages containing malicious code from damaging data. In the largest sense, the goal is to protect their network. The user doesn't _want_ to create messaging security policy, or filtering rules, or interact with the UI. If they could do it without interacting with the UI at all, that would be more than OK.

Anything that furthers user _goals_ is a Good Thing®. Anything that detracts is not.

Dan


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SEE THE ALL NEW ROBOHELP X5 IN ACTION: RoboHelp X5 is a giant leap forward
in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content
Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
documentation with ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 7 Professional, a new yearly
subscription service offering free updates and upgrades, support, and more.
http://www.doctohelp.com

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as:
archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.



Follow-Ups:

Previous by Author: RE: waking up to the world of Technical Writing
Next by Author: RE: Tina the Techwriter Reopens the Great Debate
Previous by Thread: Re: waking up to the world of Technical Writing
Next by Thread: contract-to-hire pricing


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads