Re: upload/download terminology

Subject: Re: upload/download terminology
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:02:01 -0400

Sean Hower wrote:

---------------------------
Dick Margulis wrote:

[snip]
My point, though, is that while _you_ may conclude that "the rest are candidates for additional education of some sort," your _customer_ may come to a different conclusion altogether.

So, again, properly define your terminology up front, and use it consistently. Most will get it, and the rest are candidates for additional education of some form. ---------------------------

Doesn't changing a lightbulb and using a screwdriver fall into the category of things that the user should already know and that the manual should not have to cover?

To which I reply, see above. Yes, you and Bill and I think the user ought to know that. But the customer (the user's employer) may think differently. And the _customer_ as we all know, pays the piper and therefore calls the tune.

I mean, if you buy a word processing application, it doesn't include instruction on taking your computer out of its box, putting it together, turning it on, setting up your monitor,
or changing your printer cartridge, does it? All of those are central to actually using the application effectively (even the printer one).

Oh, I dunno. I never read a government purchasing contract for word processing software. It may in fact require that the documentation cover all of that and more.

Besides, the analogy/example doesn't address the issue, or wswallow's point. A more accurate analogy would be, in those manuals, calling a lightbulb something else (like kind-of-round-light-sender-outer-made-from-glass-and-metal thingie or "korlsomfgam" for short) in order to avoid confusing those people who don't know what a lightbulb is. :-)

I wasn't addressing that point, with which I agree completely. I was addressing the "additional education" comment.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com