Website development tools on Mac?

Subject: Website development tools on Mac?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:56:30 -0400

Karen Neeb wondered: <<I’m developing a website for a client that he will maintain himself. I’m creating it on Windows, but he’ll maintain and update it on a Mac. He’s not a techie, so I need to suggest a website development tool that he can learn easily. He’ll be updating content and adding links, but I doubt he’ll do any major re-design. If possible, I'd like to avoid having him dig into HTML code. What Mac web tools fit the bill?>>

You mentioned that you really want a simple solution, so look into Macromedia Contribute (http://www.macromedia.com/software/contribute/). My understanding is that Contribute is specifically designed to let an expert (you) create a site that's easy for a less-expert user (your client) to maintain. There are both Mac and Windows versoins available, so you should both be able to continue collaborating on the site in the future with no cross-platform problems.

I've also used Dreamweaver 3 and 4 on my Mac with considerable success. They're not trivially easy, and have their quirks, but by and large they work well enough and are sufficiently easy to use that I can recommend them. The latest version is Dreamweaver MX, and the latest patch to the MX version is claimed to make the software run at an acceptable speed (formerly a problem). I'll probably upgrade in the near future so I no longer have to run the software in Classic mode under OS-X Panther.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com