Re: Tina the Techwriter Reopens the Great Debate

Subject: Re: Tina the Techwriter Reopens the Great Debate
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:32:52 -0700

In a provocative Original Message From: "Bruce Byfield"
<bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 8:52 AM

> On the other side of this question, I remember picking up a
book once that had
> someone thinking in Scots dialect. I decided that any writer
dumb enough to
> imagine that people think in dialect wasn't worth reading.

Jumping in late as usual, I wasn't going to bother, but something
about it has been making me curious, and I have some loose ends
to tie up, so...

The language of thought isn't defined, AFAIK. I assume that the
paysans of Alsace and the negritos of Zambales think in the same
wordless universal language of Homo sapiens.

I know that some people adore accents, like a sort of speech
candy--I knew a guy who spent a semester in England and came home
speaking with the accent, which he kept for years. I call this
affectation, but it makes me wonder if dialect accents are like
popular music, in the way that people get a song stuck in their
head? I've no idea how common this is--tourists do it some (the
chameleon instinct to blend in) but not obsessively. The guy I
knew might have been one in a million, or his thing might be
common enough that authors can target it with books saturated
with dialect and phonetically spelled out accents. Maybe this
will become a new grocery store paperback genre: Dialect Novels.
In the back of my mind I'm thinking (entrepreneurially) "Dialect
User Manuals". New thread?

Clearly, Bruce, you didn't have that problem with this
book--you're like the person watching a movie, aware of the
cinematic devices and trickery to the point that you can't
suspend disbelief ;-)

Out of curiosity, I wonder if you were put off by awareness that
thinking, like reading, does not involve the machinery of speech?
In drawing a parallel between reading and thinking, I mean that
some people act out speech when reading (reading with their
lips), but of course that is "talking to yourself," a useful
learning device, but not a "normal" part of reading. "Thinking
out loud" is the only example I have of people acting out their
thoughts as speech, but again not a "normal" part of thinking
(except in the car).

Ned Bedinger
Ed Wordsmith Technical Communications Co.
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
http://www.edwordsmith.com
tel: 360-434-7197
fax: 360-769-7059

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com