RE: ADD/ADHD Problems and Tech Writing/Editing Careers

Subject: RE: ADD/ADHD Problems and Tech Writing/Editing Careers
From: "Wade Courtney" <courtney -at- hsq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:53:01 -0700

Hello,

Actually an even better book is Driven to Distraction
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684801280/102-6792549-178573
8?v=glance).

It is written for the adult with ADD, I know because I also have ADD. I too
take medication for this but its no small dosage (although lately I've found
less of a need for it). Prior to finding a doctor that would prescribe me
the right medication, I self medicated with coffee. Because caffeine is a
stimulant, it works on the same receptors in the brain as Dexedrine, Ritalin
and many other prescription stimulants.

The way I deal with my ADD at work, it to wear a lot of hats. Since I am
the lone writer at a small company, I am also the graphic designer, marcom
writer, tech writer, editor, and web master. This mix of activities helps
me because people with ADD get bored easily and loose focus, with all of
that to do I rarely get bored (although I still do at times). Only a couple
of people at work know that I have it. I use a lot of post-it notes to make
sure that I don't forget stuff.

When I do start to loose focus, I get up and walk around the office for a
couple of minutes to get some fresh air or I pull up a browser and check the
latest news. Then I take a deep breath and get back to work. One of the
things that helps me stay focused is that I am interested in the stuff I
write about, maybe you are writing about the wrong subject matter.

The one thing I wouldn't do is go around telling everyone you work with that
you have ADD, not all people believe in it, especially in adults (my boss
for example, so he doesn't know).

Let me know if you have an more specific questions.

Regards,

Wade

Wade Courtney
Sr. Technical Writer
HSQ Technology
510-259-3709
www.hsq.com
Promote Safety . . . Every Day !

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com