Re: Excel cell content

Subject: Re: Excel cell content
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:07:20 -0400

At 10:57 AM -0400 2004/06/14, Szul, Andy C Mr WRAMC-Wash DC wrote:
I've got "Jones -at- 34 -dot- 15" in a cell and Excel insists it's an email addy. When I place my cursor over that cell, and click, my email program opens with "Jones -at- 34 -dot- 15" as the recipient.

I replied:
The answer, believe it or not, is in the online help. Search for the keyword 'hyperlink' and tunnel your way down to an option called something like 'Remove one or more hyperlinks from your data cells.'

WARNING!
The procedure (multiply a hyperlink by 1 and paste the result back in the problem cell---HUH?!?) makes no sense at all, but it works.

Several people have contacted me off-list for more information. Now that I'm back in the office, I can be more precise about the path to this rather odd process for convincing Excel to stop launching email software when you click on a cell containing @.

In my case, the text in the affected cells *was* a valid email address, but the client didn't want the text to look like, or function as, a hyperlink.

Platform: Win XP Home
Excel version: 2002

I found this senseless but effective procedure in the online help by searching for keyword=hyperlink and then selecting "Remove a hyperlink" and "Deactivate several hyperlinks at once".

1. Type the number 1 in a blank cell, and right-click the cell.
2. Click 'Copy' on the shortcut menu.
3. While pressing 'CTRL', select each hyperlink you want to deactivate.
4. Click 'Paste Special' on the 'Edit' menu.
5. Under 'Operation", click 'Multiply' and then click 'OK'.

Multiplying a text string by a number to remove a hyperlink doesn't make any sense to me AT ALL, but it worked. Does anyone know what's going on here? If so, can you explain it to me off-list? (I've made the same request on the Word-PC list, but haven't gotten a response.) This is making me crazy.

--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com