RE: ADD/ADHD Problems and Tech Writing/Editing Careers

Subject: RE: ADD/ADHD Problems and Tech Writing/Editing Careers
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:44:00 -0500

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) makes it possible for individuals with disabilities (ADD/ADHD are considered disabilities) to request reasonable accommodations from employers and public facilities. Asking for a quieter location, taller sound-reducing cubicle walls, noise-cancelling headphones, or even simply management-level policies that reduce the annoyances created by colleagues, are all within the realm of "reasonable."

You might get some help and support within the organization by talking with HR, as well as discussing options with your health-care professional. The ongoing stress in this situation is a significant threat to one's physical and mental health.

From the company's angle, anything that reduces a productive worker's efficiency is a cost, so it's in the company's interest to help simply for bottom-line reasons.

Have you also tried just asking for common courtesy from your neighbors? If you have, and it hasn't gotten anywhere, it's also something to discuss with HR.

HTH

From: rrinehart -at- smithdata -dot- net

Now just to complain:

Additionally, I am saddled with a department next to me that is a chatter
machine. From a few feet away I am pelted with outbursts of laughter,
giggling, baby talk, and random loud, insistent comments ("I'm freezing to
death!!", "I'm starving to death!!", etc) all day. And I have a co-worker
in the next cubicle whose life is one long sentence (directed at me) with
pauses that are just long enough for me to start to concentrate on
something, then BOOM- the inevitable continuation of the perpetual sentence
that was left dangling five minutes ago: "....and then when I got home it
was raining and I realized I forgot my umbrella and I was soaking wet and
blah blah blah... don't you hate that????!"

Thank god for headphones, but they can be a distraction. I need earplugs.

Robert

Regards,

Peter Gold
Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker, Acrobat, InDesign
KnowHow ProServices
www.knowhowpro.com
Voice: 612.823.7113
FAX: 1-413-832-3550

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com