RE: White Paper Proposals

Subject: RE: White Paper Proposals
From: "Bill Darnall" <darcom -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:05:00 -0700

Hi all, I know I asked this like a month ago, but I didn't like the
answer I received so I am noodling for a different one. lol. I have to

write a white paper proposal for a military contract grant.

. . . . . .

What about pieces of the manufacturing that are integral to the
product but are not part of the Statement of Work?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Michele,

You have identified a particular requirement and given it a name. I
think part of the problem is with the name "white paper proposal."
That may be the reason you have not received much help from members of

As I understand it, you are going after a grant. Therefore, you
probably need a proposal. Grants are awarded on the basis of proposed
services or products, hence, the identification of a statement of work
(SOW). The SOW outlines what you are required to do. The proposal then
explains how you will accomplish the elements of the SOW.

In addition, your (grant) proposal needs to include creditable
information to back up whatever claims you are making. For example,
you could produce several white papers about how manufacturing solved
particular problems, similar to the one(s) in your proposal. White
papers can be used to lend credibility to a proposal.

If your "white paper proposal" is for solicited work, you probably
have a formal SOW. If, on the other hand, your document is for
unsolicited work, you may need to use a great deal more persuasion. If
you are going after unsolicited work, you may only need a query letter
with a white paper or to establish credibility with the customer.
Then, you may be requested to submit a formal proposal.

White papers and proposals are at different ends of the spectrum, so
to speak. You apparently want one document that combines both of them.
So, you have called it a white paper proposal.

If you can provide details about what you want to accomplish you may
get better input from TECHWR-L. You don't have to divulge details. A
major input would be whether the document is for an advertised grant
or for unsolicited grant work.

For further details about white papers, here is a URL that explains
everything one would ever want to know about (white papers). It gives
examples of several different white papers.

http://www.stelzner.com/copy-HowTo-whitepapers.php

Bill D.

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com