RE: link to Adobe site using Reader v. 6

Subject: RE: link to Adobe site using Reader v. 6
From: Chris Gooch <chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:16:22 +0100

CJ Daly wrote:

++
In Acrobat 6 Reader, is there a way to remove the link in the upper right
corner that goes to the Adobe site? Or, is there a way to remove that
toolbar?
++

My knowledge may be a bit out of date since I don't
have v.6 but you should be able to set your pdf
so that it loads up with the tool bar or command bar
hidden in the reader... how you set this option
will depend on the software you use to create the
pdf.. I can't see a way to do it in the version of
acrobat I have, but I know that the command in the
pdf is:

/ViewerPreferences << /HideToolbar true /HideWindowUI true >>

Try loading the pdf file in a plain text editor (eg notepad)
and search for /ViewerPreferences, then add the two options
above ( /HideToolbar true /HideWindowUI true )

There _should_ be a way to set these preferences in
the software you use to create the pdf, but I'm not
a frame or word expert (I use latex).

Of course, if you turn off the toolbar then you'll probably
need to provide basic navigation buttons in your document
(a 'previous page' and 'next page' link at the top/bottom
of each page as a minimum, probably also a 'first page'
and 'last page' link too, or 'contents', 'index', etc. --
the current acrobat user guide pdf provides a good example)

hth,
Chris.

Christopher Gooch, Technical Author
LightWork Design, Sheffield, UK.
www.lightworkdesign.com

SIGGRAPH 2004...Booth 1130...Los Angeles, California...10-12 August

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com