Minimal Contents of a Operation/User Manual

Subject: Minimal Contents of a Operation/User Manual
From: bconnatser -at- epri-peac -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 07:30:58 -0600

My employer received a machine that we specified and another company build
under contract. The contract called for an operations manual. The machine
is very complex, but we received only a one-page (very general) operation
manual. He has asked me to determine the prevailing definition of an
operation/user manual by content. So, in your experience, what are the
"must haves" in such a manual? Can anyone point to a definition of such a
manual? I've combed through my literature on technical communication
without success. I would appreciate any feedback.

Brad

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com