R: What do you ask references?

Subject: R: What do you ask references?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:47:16 -0700 (PDT)

Steven Oppenheimer wrote:
> Obviously, I want to somehow check that the guy is
> competent as a programmer, and also that he is honest
> as a businessman. I had very positive "vibes" when we
> met, but I don't want the reference-checking process
> to be totally superfluous. So, can someone suggest,
> what kinds of questions I should ask his references?

To evaluate an applicant subjectively rely on three things in this
order:

1. Your intellect (based on your experience and knowledge - think
carefully!).

2. Your instinct (this is tricky because instinct is often based on
irrational and incorrect prejudices, so balance it with intellect).
3. References.

I'd stick to the basic generic HR questions: Did this guy work there,
start/stop dates, and try asking some open ended questions: "Can you
tell me anything else about this guy..."

Don't forget the golden rule - Don't ask any questions you wouldn't
want asked about you.

I wouldn't expect references to turn up any negative info. You have to
check them though, just for due diligence:

Prosecuter: "Your employee stole the widow's pension fund - DIDN'T YOU
CHECK HIS REFERENCES????"

Mike O.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com