Binding Methods

Subject: Binding Methods
From: Liz Goodwin <Liz -dot- Goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:45:03 -0400

We also use 3-ring binders. I think since most people on the list are
involved with software, the 3-ring binder is thought to be dated and
unattractive for their purposes. However, for the analyzers that we produce
which require customer-specific drawings and quite often multiple copies,
these binders are a life saver. We have to print-to-order our manuals since
the revision can change anytime a change is made to the analyzer that
affects the form, fit or function. This could happen as often as once a
month if an engineering change is written and incorporated into the manual.
Sometimes it happens more often, sometimes less. We never print for
on-the-shelf inventory since we would have to destroy the inventory with
the advent of a new revision. We also produce about 30 different analyzers
at this location, each requiring a different manual. With the 3-ring
binder, we can print-to-order the latest revision with customer-specific
drawings inserted. We have no inventory. Sometimes we're printing just 2 or
3 manuals a day, and sometimes it's 50 or 60. In any case, all we do is
print. Someone else assembles the manuals and inserts the tabs and required
certifications and drawings that the customer requests. It works for us!

Liz Goodwin
Technical Writer, Process Instruments
AMETEK, P&AI
liz -dot- goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com