Re: what do you get out of the STC or what would you?

Subject: Re: what do you get out of the STC or what would you?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:49:32 -0400

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 07/14/2004 03:00:20 PM:
> For example, instead of being asked to
> speak for free, I'm currently contemplating a subsidized trip to
> Berlin to present.

And there's the real rub. While the conference is the STC's main source of
income, they don't give any tangible credit or recognition to those that
present. Forget speaking for free, you have to pay for the privilege.

You'd think that free attendance, lowered/subsidised travel and hotels,
and perhaps free membership might be in the offering for those that put in
the effort so that the STC can survive. But, no. Speak for free and pay
your own way. :p

I might be convinced to speak for free locally where it costs little more
than an evening of my time (if it's a subject for which I am already
prepared). But to travel, pay for a hotel, take time of work, to then
speak for free? Can't really see the advantage personally. Perhaps if
you're a consultant looking for exposure it can be looked at as marketing.
But I certainly don't see how I could sell it as an advantage to my
employer if the STC membership isn't part of the customer base.

Personally, I'll just keep going to the local STC meetings and paying the
non-member price when I remember to check the website and the topics
interest me.

Maybe I'll get round to properly proposing a presentation to Geoff (or
whoever is the next local chapter president) sometime. :)

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com