Re: STC Transformation

Subject: Re: STC Transformation
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:20:25 -0400

> Yes, many STC members and leaders not only monitor, but participate in this
> list.

I'd be surprised and probably appauled if it weren't so. ;-)

> And many of the issues and suggestions that have come up in this thread are
> being addressed in the Transformation. For instance, new membership
> categories that will allow you to access the periodicals electronically,
> without receiving printed copies. Greater participation by the SIGs in
> contributing content to the annual conference. A focus on providing member
> value, and on communicating and demonstrating TW value to employers. And
> yes, there's a lot of soul-searching going on in STC leadership.

Good to hear. I'd be interested in reading the plan once it's known.
It might be something I'd consider joining again, provided the value
is there.

FWIW, as a former member, I'd be more inclined to re-join if the STC
was more focused in a limited arena than spread out over many. If they
could offer solid services in a handful of areas, I'd get more value
from that than minimal service over a multitude of areas.

I'm torn on the SIG thing. Right now I cannot draw a distinction
between a SIG and a on-topic mailing list such as Techwr-l or HATT.
That is, in the way the STC has been run I got little more than
nothing from the core organization but had to buy in to take advantage
of the SIGs, which provided nothing more than I currently get online
and in e-mail for free. I was a member of about 9 different SIGs over
the course of a few years...

In short, why pay for what I can get for free?

So, food for thought for the STC.

Thanks!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com