Re: Chapter Overviews

Subject: Re: Chapter Overviews
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:34:31 -0400

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:44:11 -0500, Martinek, Carla <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com> wrote:

All -

Do you feel that a user guide, in the "About This Book"
(or equivalant) section, should contain a high-level overview
comprised of a list of chapters and a one or two line
description for each? ...

Done well, it ought to seem like a necessary part of the book.
But done according to formula, it'll be unusable. Here's a
sample of the latter, reconstructed from memory from a job
where we were supposed to boilerplate that kind of stuff in. (If
I remember correctly my contribution shot down the boilering.) I
must have written it on a Friday. Must have been Friday. Yeah.

ABOUT THIS BOOK
IMPORTANT! This book is divided into chapters. The reader
should read each chapter thoroughly and understand it before
reading the next chapter, because we wrote each chapter with the
reader in mind, and it was a lot of work. The chapters are
divided into paragraphs, and the paragraphs into sentences,
which in turn are composed of words and phrases, all of them
carefully constructed, and subsequently tested for readability.

There was likely much more, but fortunately I didn't save it,
not anywhere.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com