Re: Using Word to Create Help

Subject: Re: Using Word to Create Help
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:23:19 -0700

Yonemura, PriscillaX J wrote:

I've researched the archives and articles to no avail. Could be user
error, but I can't find any advice on using Microsoft Word to create
help for a simple web application. And, yes, I'd love to use RoboHelp or
RoboHTML, but the project owners insist I use Word. Can anybody point me
to any articles or give me any advice? I haven't figured out a Google
search that gives me any meaningful hits.

Maybe you can't find it here because we've learned that it's something you just don't do.

Even with the filters, Word churns out horrible, horrible HTML.

Here's something I'd probably do, in some form, if I were faced with that situation:

Project Owner: You have to use Word to produce help for the web project.

Me: Word isn't a help development tool in itself and it produces messy, bloated HTML.

PO: I know, but you still have to use Word.

Me: I'm here because I am the expert of how to best develop user assistance, including for web applications, right?

PO: Well, yes.

Me: Well, I'm telling you, Word is absolutely the wrong tool. You give your programmers the tools they need to do their job right, and Word isn't the tool that anyone would use to do this job right.

PO: Well, we need Word so our engineers can update the docs when you're gone.

Me: Your engineers know HTML, so updating won't be hard at all. And I'll make sure the development procedures are well documented, so anyone would be able to do updates--understanding, of course, that not just "anyone" would be able to write and organize the information well (not to mention index any new content).

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com