Re: Contacting people who create manuals for gaming software.

Subject: Re: Contacting people who create manuals for gaming software.
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:05:16 -0400

> I am a student studying technical communication. In one of my classes, I
> have to interview 2 people in the tech. comm. field. I recently created an
> instruction manual for a software program. I enjoyed the process and
> wanted to explore this type of writing. I am particularly interested in
> writing manuals/guides for gaming software programs. Can anyone put me in
> touch with someone who does this kind of writing and may be willing to do
> a phone or email interview? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to burst your bubble but most gaming manuals are not written by
technical writers. Rather, it's a joint effort between the developers
(who have a passion for the gaming world) and marketing (who have a
passion for making cool things cooler). A friend of mine has worked
for several gaming corporations as a developer, and has written many
of the user guides for those games.

There just isn't enough material in those guides to warrant hiring a
full time writer to develop them. Perhaps as freelance... but don't
count on that approach to pay many bills.

Now, gaming companies might (and do in some cases, at least in the
bigger companies) hire tech writers to support the internal
technologies used in producing the games. That is, you are documenting
the development environment and infrastructure, and to a degree the
process for developing game logic, rendering, lighting, sound, and so
on. But don't expect your work to be printed in a 5x7 glossy,
full-color, saddle stitched manual. ;-)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com