The STC and me

Subject: The STC and me
From: written_by -at- juno -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:10:29 -0600

Could someone please educate me about the STC? There have been several
STC threads, so let me ask a few questions.

Why should I worry about the STC when I have yet to find anyone who knows
what the STC is or really cares if I am a member or not? I have never
lost an opportunity because I was not an STC member. Not being a member
has had zero impact on my career, and quite frankly, I see no benefit to
joining. I am not so sure that the cost to join will provide many
advantages. If I joined the STC, does adding the STC logo to y letterhead
or mentioning that I am a member of this organization help me?

I am guessing that there are members who join just so they can say that
they are members. Perhaps there are people who hire STC members just
because they are members, and they have no knowledge of what the group is
all about. Perhaps some people assume that STC membership means a certain
skill level. Again, I am painting an entire group the same color, so
forgive me. Perhaps STC membership does help. Then again, perhaps I
expect more from the STC than it is capable of delivering.

I did visit their web site and noticed that they offer an individual
membership that is open to all those interested in technical
communication. So anyone can join. I have no problem with this, but I
still wonder.

So please.... Someone tell me why I should join a group that is
apparently not going to help me all that much. Anyone care to educate me
on list or off?

Bob

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com