Re: PDF generation under Windows XP

Subject: Re: PDF generation under Windows XP
From: "Lindsey Durway" <ldurway -at- pavtech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:55:25 -0500

Make sure that the printer you select is the Acrobat Distiller.

Superfluous anecdotal background:
I was creating PDFs using the Print to File option and with any old printer
selected, and that worked fine (mostly) on win2k. Then we did a number of
changes & upgrades (moved to new building, upgraded printer drivers,
migrated me to XP, upgraded Frame to 7.0), and presto-surpriso, things quit
working. Then I realized that rather than picking just any old postscript
printer, I should select Acrobat Distiller. It works fine now.

Lindsey
--
Lindsey Durway
Pavilion Technologies, Inc.

"Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com> wrote in message
news:244718 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> [cross-posted to Framers]
>
> We are in the process of getting new computers and going from Windows 2000
> to Windows XP.
>
> One of my coworkers has gotten his new computer, and is having difficultly
> making pdf's the way he used to. Previously, in the Print dialog box, he
> checked "Generate Acrobat Data," but unchecked "Print to File." Under
> Windows 2000, he was prompted for a location to save the pdf, and then the
> pdf was generated. When he tries to use that method now, he is prompted
for
> a location to save the pdf, but Frame hangs, and he gets nothing except a
> Printer error.
>
> I have always made pdf's using the Print to File method, with watched
> folders set up in Distiller. Printing to File works on his new system, but
> he'd rather use the other method. I have not yet received my new PC, so I
> can't test the problem he's having on my system.
>
> Has anyone else seen this when moving from Windows 2000 to XP? If so, were
> you able to resolve it, or did you have to change to the Print to File
> method?
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Lisa B.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com