RE: Train-the-trainer

Subject: RE: Train-the-trainer
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:30:48 -0400

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 07/29/2004 07:10:19 AM:
> Train the Trainer is intended to teach the skills necessary to be a
> trainer.

Not quite. While you may have experience where presentation/teaching
skills were given under the title of Train-the-Trainer, that's not the
context in which I use it or have seen it used.

Train-the-Trainer is courses given in a subject to the clients trainers.
In my case, we would instruct the clients supervisors and dedicated
trainers so that they can then go out a give the same training to their
employees. In that way, we train 3 or 4 classes of 10-20 instructors each
and then those instructors train the dozens/hundreds of employees
required.

Usually, training given to the instructors is more complete and in detail
than what you'd give the average employee. The course is then changed by
the instructors before giving the employee training to reflect the
requirements of specific job specifications and time limitations.

When I have given such training I have always stayed strictly on the
technical subject at hand. Indeed, it's an interesting exercise because
you are more of an equal with the "students" and sharing knowledge as
opposed to dictating it. One caveat I learned is that in many respects the
"students" are far more knowledgeable than the instructor. They have more
experience teaching and with the operating environment and atmosphere
on-site.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com