Re: Deadline extended for proposals for STC Annual Conference

Subject: Re: Deadline extended for proposals for STC Annual Conference
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:07:25 -0700 (PDT)

Beth Agnew wrote:
> Wow, at what conferences do you get paid for presenting? Most of the ones
> I've encountered, especially the academic ones, are so cheap that you're
> lucky if you get a break on the registration fee, let alone get paid. At one
> conference, they gave me a $5 notepad as a premium. Woohoo!! At least the
> STC gives nice little gifts to presenters.
> --Beth
>
> Beth Agnew
> Professor, Technical Communication
> Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
> 416-491-5050 x3133

Every single information security I have presented at either let me in for free
or compensated me with free food or services. In a few cases, my airfare and
hotel were also paid for.

It is laughable and pathetic that STC doesn't compensate its speakers. It has
the effect of watering down those that speak - making them essentially
marketing presentations. Why on earth would I pay money to listen to a sales
pitch? I can get those for free.

This is just another in an endless series of reasons why STC is worthless.

Andrew Plato

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com