OT - British English question

Subject: OT - British English question
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:26:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all.

Hey, I've noticed an interesting (to me at least) difference in the use of articles between British English (BE) and American English (AE). The one I keep hearing (as a result of listing to BBC World News) is the BE "in hospital" as opposed to the AE "in the hospital." I think a similar situation occurs for holiday, as in "on holiday," and university "at university." (not sure on the university one)

I realize that AE does the same sort of thing but for different words: on vacation, in college. I was just wondering if you all have heard other examples of this and whether any one out there knows what the "rule" for dropping the article in either language is.


Sean Hower - tech writer

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com


ROBOHELP X5: Featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author
support, PDF and XML support and much more!
TRY IT TODAY at http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrl

WEBWORKS FINALDRAFT: New! Document review system for Word and FrameMaker
authors. Automatic browser-based drafts with unlimited reviewers. Full
online discussions -- no Web server needed! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as:
archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: re: externalizing help customization
Next by Author: RE: opposite of 'assert' -- 'de-assert' OR 'deassert'?
Previous by Thread: Update: Repost - PDF and XP
Next by Thread: common text in manuals--what's your process?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads