RE: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: RE: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: "Nagai, Paul" <pnagai -at- inovant -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:16:03 -0700

No doubt the Rays are, or will be once they complete today's responsibilities (including those that have driven them to this decision), reading all of our suggestions, questions, complaints (ok, fewer than you might expect). I look forward to their considered response(s).

Eric was very open in laying out the costs associated with running the just the mailing list some time ago. I can't remember which gracious host was bowing out of their volunteered bandwidth and support, but running a list this size with the service levels we've enjoyed is NOT a $500/year proposition. Honestly, I don't know why, but I remember Eric's litany of requirements and costs (well, not the details or I'd produce them ... but the trend). I believe him.

But that's not really why I started this note ...

When stewardship of this list (and others ... if you have subscribed to framers long enough, you will remember its most recent transfer) transfers, it is typically transferred to someone (usually a contributor, not just a subscriber) who makes a proposition to the current steward, in this case, the Rays.

While the discussions that are ongoing are valuable both for teasing out ideas for the Rays (and potential new stewards) as well as educating the community at large what is at stake and what it costs, it is likely that the transfer will result from a conversation someone initiates with the Rays offlist that satisfies them with respect to their money and the "good of the community."

FYI: If you are interested in pursuing the costs question, you can start here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=techwr-l+listserv+%22eric+ray%22+cost+server&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=LYRIS-9607-148-2000.06.02-12.24.07--techwr-l%23GTS.ORG%40lists.raycomm.com&rnum=4

------
Paul Nagai

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com