Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 00:03:49 -0400

> I would not argue that TECHWR-L should become a Yahoo group. TECHWR-L
> works just fine as is. But I do take exception to the statement that
> Yahoo groups are a joke. I am a moderator of the Help Authoring Tools &
> Techniques, or HATT, group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hatt), and it
> is most assuredly not a "joke."

Thank you David. I was just catching up and caught that post, but
decided to let it go. I would also argue that WWP-Users is certainly
not a joke either.

> If this happens, it is the result of incompetent moderators. We do not
> have any of these issues in the HATT group.

Correct. Yahoo Groups will be prone to spam attacks because they are
quite popular, but with active moderators and smart use of list
settings you can prevent that from happening.

> > Since anyone can join them, I would think that good moderation
> > is required. This takes time and effort. At least when I red this list, I
> > am confident that very little spam will arrive because of this list.
>
> There is *no* spam on the Yahoo groups I moderate. And while little or
> no spam is sent to the TECHWR-L list itself, there continues to be a
> harvesting problem resulting in spam being sent to individual subscribers.

Correct. I signed up to TECHWR-L and my intake of spam increased
within the next few days... Fortunately I have software that managed
that for me. Gmail though is being problematic with regard to managing
junk mail, but that's another story.

And, it is incorrect to state that anyone can join a Yahoo Group. I
run many and some are set up so no one can join or has any type of
access to anything concerning the list without moderator approval.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com