Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:05:34 -0400

Rob Partridge wrote:

Do you think there is a strong possibility that a mandatory fee of any
type will lead to the stagnation and gradual attrition of this list? The
way I see it is that either someone will set up another free list, or an
already existing list will be discovered. Then over time, newer
techwriters when faced with the option of free list or paid list will
opt for the free one - voting with their feet. Old lags like myself will
subscribe to both lists, since there seems to be good traffic on both,
and as traffic diminishes on the paid list, will post more and more to
the new list. And inexorably the fee-paying list will dwindle to
nothing. Survival of the fittest (or cheapest in this case).
Rob

That's certainly a risk. As I said before, the idea I proposed is not necessarily the best option--just something for discussion.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com