FM 7.1 and AutoCAD files

Subject: FM 7.1 and AutoCAD files
From: Leo Hill <leochill -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:31:53 -0700 (PDT)

Folks,

Our Tech Pubs group just updated to Frame 7.1 from 6.
One of the manuals we've been working on has 15 C and
D sized parts drawings.

On the printers proofs we noticed some crowded text
and I went back to the AutoCAD V14 source drawings to
troubleshoot the problem. I manipulated the offending
text boxes in AutoCAD and then attempted to import the
resulting file into FM7.1. The process failed several
times at the 99% completion level.

Tried several different ways, including exporting the
drawing from AutoCAD as a windows meta file - wmf.

Nothing worked - a computer hang at 99% each time.

I saved the FM file as a 6.0 document, opened FM6 and
then had zero problems importing the AutoCAD drawing
file (dwg) into FM6. And then I was able to create a
pdf from that file - using FM6 - with no issues.

The question: Does anyone know of any compatibility
or import issues when using Frame 7.1 and AutoCAD 14?

The company is slowing updating the draftspeople with
AutoCAD 2004 but us lowly Tech Writers aren't on the
immediate list as the licenses are too spendy for our
occasional needs.

Any clues will be appreciated by all 6 of us.

Thanks

Leo

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com