Tech Whirlers - Introduction to a new model

Subject: Tech Whirlers - Introduction to a new model
From: "Steve Hudson" <adslyy5g -at- tpg -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 00:26:05 +1000

<Waves a big hello to all and sundry, redirect g'dazes off list please>

G'dazes all round again. First up, an enormous thank you to the Rays for
persevering to such a high standard for as long as they have to provide this
magnificent resource. <Heh, grammar lessons learnt me nothing>

As the original thread disintegrated rapidly, I was hoping we could try
again, more constructively this time. Let's answer the question.

Eric requires a strategic plan that he feels comfortable with, please, as
technical writers we are quite capable of producing this document. Please
perform gap analysis and critical assessment of the below. Once that is
done, we have the basis for a model.

If there are more experienced strategic planners that wish to rechunk this
more suitably, help yourself. Of course, Eric can Veto any part of it he
likes... <chuckles>

Plan 401 - Ver 0.01
========

Introduction
============

Objective
---------

Construct viable self-sustaining business models to provide effective
maintenance of the established status quo of the Tech Whirlers brand and
service.

Scope
-----

This plan focuses on analysis of multiple potential business models and may
include use cases, market analyses and assessments and detailed instructions
for transitioning models.

It does not include Hardware/software solutions, technical requirements for
maintenance nor changes to or assessment of site content.

Resources
---------

A large list of readers
A small list of helpers
Established income
Mail list / web presence technology
A variety of accessible SMEs
Two unpaid employees (the rays) with limited time

Primary Stakeholders
--------------------

In order of vested interest:

1 The Rays
2 Sponsors
3 Authors
4 Users

Rationale: The Rays are the obvious top. As many list readers pointed out
they would happily bail elsewhere if it went pear shaped, Users
automatically belong at the bottom. Sponsors have an effective place to
address their marketplace and have already committed financial support.
Authors have invested many hours in providing materials for the site to help
make it what it is - the premier technical writing site in the world - and
we often use hyperlinks to these materials to answer / avoid repetitive
questions.

Secondary Stakeholders
----------------------

Companies employing users of the site.

Rationale: Although the users will go elsewhere, the site content will
vanish/stagnate, mentoring programs collapsed etc. This reduces the
available information for these companies and information is a leveragable
asset.

Requirements for the minimal model
----------------------------------

1. Staff to handle the workload. This is 1000+ hrs / yr, roughly 20 hrs a
week. This is a single permanent part-time job. I am not familiar with US
rates, I am guessing we could get an adequate web dude work from home
candidate for US $20,000? What's the bet we have a few freelancers reading
right now thinking "That'd be a nice supplement." Plus, if some upgrade /
whatever work can be parcelled out to volunteers on a one-shot basis, all
the better. For this, we need a job description, a copy of policies and a
procedures manual. <Coughs> Eric doesn't have to write this folks... Spell
thank you with 10 pages thanks <chuckles>.

2. Some way to pay for all this.

3. Maintenance of the fairly liberal environment supporting document
labourers.

Steve Hudson

Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
Tricky stuff with Word or words for you.
www.wordheretic.com

Steve Hudson

Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
Tricky stuff with Word or words for you.
www.wordheretic.com
Spellbooks: 420 pages of dump left and dropping...

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com