Re: Gaps in STC's services

Subject: Re: Gaps in STC's services
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 00:24:04 -0400

> One group wants *academic respectibility* at all costs--for tech writing to be recognized at the universities as an equivalent to an engineering program, perhaps, replete with the bureaucratic trappies of academe...the scholarly articles, the journals, etc. Obviously, from its publications STC has quite a cadre of this group.
>
> Another group, the "just the facts, ma'am" type we might call it, takes a much more utilitarian approach. For these people, there is an emphasis on value for money--what benefits do they derive, if any, from STC membership compared to what they might get elsewhere for the same investment of time and/or money. Among these individuals, much depends upon the local chapter and how it is run...which, in turn, depends upon what sort of folks step forward to lead the chapter in its various activities. If someone feels a need for development of a particular SIG, and is willing to work on it, then that person may attract enough others to present meaningful programs.

You know, I could really care less what the STC focuses on as long as
it picks one and does good by it. Currently the STC is like that of a
kid with ADD - hands and interests in all aspects of technical
writing, a few synapse flares at a time. That to me says 1) the STC
doesn't know what it is, 2) the STC doesn't know what it wants to be,
3) the STC is afraid to commit to a direction.

If the STC just picked a direction and stuck to it, those who agree
with the direction will be able to get exceptional value out of their
participation, and those who disagree with the direction will know to
spend their time, money, and effort on another
initiative/organization.

No more short attention span theater, please.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com