HTML Help / RoboHTML Questions

Subject: HTML Help / RoboHTML Questions
From: Steven Oppenheimer <Steven -at- OppenheimerCommunications -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:45:33 -0400

First of all, a quick thanks to Eric for letting me back on the last after I posted an ad the other day -- I'll say again once more, I just lose track of which lists allow what. But it won't happen again here, and I appreciate Eric letting me off after, basically, a stern lecture. (Others are advised not to repeat my mistake, I sense Eric may not be feeling so generous in the future.)

Now to my question: I'm using an older version of RoboHelp (RoboHelp 9.1) to create generic HTML help. (This is for a Web-based app, and there is no way of knowing what browser, or even what operating system, may be used by the users.)

As part of the heading for each topic, I wanted to include a graphic as a bullet for the heading. (Basically, the graphic is the product logo.) I also wanted to underline the heading. However, no matter how much I played with the options for the bullet, paragraph formatting, and underlining, things kept coming out "weird." The graphic would be too far to the left, or to the right; or the bullet would line up okay, but the underlining was halfway under the graphic, and halfway not under it. (The graphic is not as small as a typical bullet, it's more of a rectangle, measuring about an inch long and half an inch high at typical screen resolutions. I don't know if its size contributes to the problem.) As I say, I experimented, and just could not get it the way you would want it. (Which is, that I'd want the graphic flush at far left, header text to start just a few points to the right of the graphic, and the underlining neatly and completely underlining both.)

So, my first question is, is this problem, with trying to include a graphic/bullet in HTML help, endemic to HTML help, or is this simply a problem because I'm using a four year old version of RoboHTML? (I'm trying to avoid the cost of an upgrade, if possible.) If the problem is endemic to HTML help, I'll just have to live without the graphic -- unless someone can steer me to another way to make the graphic a standard part of all my topics. I can't seem to find any such feature in RoboHTML 9.1.

Second question: Is there any way to include a non-scrolling region at the top of an HTML-help topic? Again, I can't find this in RoboHTML.

Finally, I'd like to upgrade, but not to the latest version. (I don't like product activation.) I checked E-bay, and can't find RoboHelp 2002 or X3 there. Does anyone know where these older versions can still be purchased?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steven Oppenheimer, M.A.
Oppenheimer Communications
Technical and Business Writing: From Complexity To Clarity (SM)
Steven -at- OpComm -dot- com www.OpComm.com (301) 468-9233

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com