Re: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers

Subject: Re: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers
From: written_by -at- juno -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:49:21 -0600

> What's a tech writer supposed to do? Same as in any other
> failing company. Get out and go somewhere else. The only other
> alternative is to take over, wresting power from top management, and
I'm
> pretty sure no one's done that directly from a tech writing position.

Perhaps, but in my case, I passionately adored the company. It was a hell
of a love affair. You just can't leave (I was FIRED). I was there at the
beginning when we manufactured Turbo Switches. We started in a garage,
just like HP:>)

Many technical writers do not have a chance to grow with a company. Most
do not watch a handful of people eventually create a huge concern,
building millions of products. Most people here probably own one or two,
or did.

In the beginning, people were hired because they could do the job. A
degree was not important. I worked with a few people who had degrees and
they needed to be trained so they could function. Two of the best
engineers we had were self taught.

It is hard to watch bad things happen to a company you were a big part of
for so very long. It is equally sad to review the past and realize that
you could have made changes, but didn't.

That being said, I remember Mike. He sorted ICs in the tiny warehouse. He
wrote suggestion after suggestion, got noticed, wrote articles and
promoted the company. He eventually became Director of Manufacturing
before retiring with a few million. So it can happen.

My company was a fascinating place. We developed the X-Jack (A project I
was a part of) connector. We ran a large sting operation with the Dallas
PD to bust a string of thieves. We had a manager busted for armed
robbery. There was a sex ring in the training rooms and a bomb in the
locker.

We also had a few trollops who were quite interesting to observe over
time. The people were colorful and exciting and a few carried off some
amazing feats of engineering. We also had some duds and a pretty good
house band.

Gotta love the place.

Bob

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com