RE: WW Publisher for Word and Doc-to-Help

Subject: RE: WW Publisher for Word and Doc-to-Help
From: "Franz-Josef Knelangen" <fjk -at- akgsoftware -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:25:58 +0200

> We're considering moving from Doc-to-Help 2000 to WebWorks
> Publisher for Word.

We did this a year ago and I would *never* go back.

But ... if I had to decide now I'd certainly loof for some non-proprietary
XML solution (you can get very far with DocBook or DITA now, I think).

The reason for this is simple: you *will* want to adapt the look and feel of
WWPs styles and you *have* to learn their macro language. Nobody else uses
it and you will hardly find s. o. outside of Quadraly who knows this.
Compare this to XSD, XSLT.

But, that said, I'm very happy with WWP -- no more nighmares of "intelligent
automatic change of context numbers" and all these features in D2H -- a
*rock solid* system (OK, we had to throw some intelligence out of word, e.
g. numbered lists) -- very helpful support people -- no problems with
localization (you can source out language specific parts in a XML file,
reference the variables in your project and get them populated in the
language you define).

In the moment, I'm preparing an evaluation of their "AutoMap" tool - a
server application that does automatic builds of your help files and manuals
(PDF).

Best regards,

Franz-Josef Knelangen
----
Std. Discl.: "All this has to be turned into *decent* English!"

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com