Re: Button Labels

Subject: Re: Button Labels
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:26:25 -0400

> I think you need to press the developers to be consistent (probably with
> initial caps), or you're going to waste a lot of your time trying to keep up
> with them. For example, on this screen, did they show OK, Ok, or okay?
>
> Put it to them this way--if the interface looks cheesy because of
> inconsistencies, the user could wonder if the product itself is just as bad.
> It's all about the company's image. What image do they want to portray to
> their customers? One of haphazardness or one of accuracy and consistency?

I totally agree. I believe the Microsoft manual of style covers this
very topic. You should work to get them to agree on a style (whatever
it is, MS-specified or not) and stick to it, because otherwise the
finished product WILL look cheesy and unprofessional to the customer.

Whatever the case, document the UI as it is. Your bold convention
should be good.

If they don't seem to have the time to change them but seem to like
your idea of consistency, see if you can't get in there and fix them
all yourself (provided they let you do that).

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com