HTML question: sizing and positioning secondary/child windows?

Subject: HTML question: sizing and positioning secondary/child windows?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:02:36 -0400

I know how to open an href hyperlink in a new window: by adding "target = _blank" to the tag. No problem so far. But can I tell the browser where to position the new window, and how large the widow should be without invoking Javascript? A CSS solution would also be possible, I suppose, but again, I'm trying for maximum simplicity and maximum browser compatibility. If either Javascript or CSS is the best or only recommendation, then I'll give them a try.

In effect, I want a solution that is as basic and browser-neutral as possible: the ideal solution would be a broadly supported switch for the href tag that looks something like (purely hypothetically) "HPOS = 25%, VPOS = 25%, SIZE = 50%" to position the top left corner of the new window 25% of the way down from the top left corner of the screen, and size the window to 50% of the screen size.

I couldn't find information on any such settings for the HREF tag or any comparable commands for the header part of an HTML document. In effect, I want to more or less center a small child window on the screen, and size it to roughly half the size of the screen so the parent/originating window is still visible in the background. Think of a popup/secondary window in WinHelp and you'll get the idea.

So... any thoughts on a solution, or good resources for researching this kind of question? I've searched the usual suspects (W3C, HTML Authors Guild, Webmonkey) plus a more generic Google, and clearly I'm not using the right keywords or I'm suffering from an advanced virtual case of male refrigerator blindness. <g>

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com