How many characters?

Subject: How many characters?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:04:22 -0400

Erika Yanovich For the purpose of quantifying one's work, how many Word 2000 characters (with spaces) is equal to 1 page in your opinion?>>

There is no universal standard, though you'll often see quoted figures that hover around 250 words per double-spaced manuscript page, with a word defined as an average of 5 characters followed by a space or punctuation. That would come to ca. 1500 characters per page. In my editing practice, I've frequently worked at a fixed price per 250-word page, but that's just me. Tweak those assumptions however you like: 12-character words plus two spaces if you're writing for lawyers, for example. <g>

The quickest and most useful way to obtain a customized estimate that reflects the work you're actually doing is to use your software's word count feature. For example, in Word, switch to layout view, select two pages of text, and with that text still highlighted, use the word count feature (under the Tools menu). That tells you the actual number of words or characters per page for your specific writing context. For more reliable averages, choose several documents and multiple pages per document.

But any such number is meaningless if it doesn't relate to the reason why you want to quantify your work. (Word counts are as useless as readability indices in that sense.*) If the goal is (for example) to predict how long it will take to complete a documentation set, word or character counts are essentially useless. It's more important to estimate how many concepts (e.g., menu choices, fields, checkboxes) you can fit into a page or create in an hour.

* I've seen a few well-designed studies, including one a couple years back in Technical Communication, that conclusively demonstrated no causal or other correlation between a readability index and the ability of the subjects to read and understand the text. If you doubt me, try this test: Take any sentence, and randomize the word order so that the sentence is completely incomprehensible, or better still, says the opposite of the original. You'll get an identical readability index for both sentences. Case closed.

So let's toss the ball back into your hands: what do you hope to accomplish by quantifying your work? Tell us that, and we can provide more useful guidance.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com