Re: regarding the pardoning of her french

Subject: Re: regarding the pardoning of her french
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:34:49 -0400

Bonnie Granat wrote:

> I was wrong, Lisa. I don't see it a lot in technical communication,
> though. It's a phrase I would never use, though. It's easier to say
> "similar to" or "in the same way that" -- I didn't Google on it, but I
> should have. It just doesn't sound idiomatic to me me. I'm curious
> what
> my copyediting colleagues will say about it, so I'm going to post the
> question on the copyediting list.

A few responses from the copyediting list follow. The question was: "Do
you use this phrase?" Pros and cons sought.":

(1)
I rarely, if ever, attempt to discuss artists' styles. I've met the
phrase
in such contexts, but Id be more likely to say that "A paints just like
B"
or "C is imitating D". In the first case I might go on to say that "A
and B
were both trained/taught be X".

I find "in the manner of" a bit precious, but that is probably me.

(2)
Yes, Renoir painting in the manner of Vermeer (unlikely thought!) or
whatever. No prob.

My own additional comment: The phrase "a la carte cable" is frequently
used by news organizations.

Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com
Technical Editing and Writing / Cambridge, Mass.
617-319-7461

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com