RE: Object Oriented Analysis Is An Oxymoron

Subject: RE: Object Oriented Analysis Is An Oxymoron
From: "Ronica Roth" <rroth -at- globusandcosmos -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:30:18 -0600

I tried three times to respond to the original post, and I just
couldn't. I could go on for days, and I don't have days. I love OOAD,
and I love UML, and I believe in how both--along with some other
methodology elements--help develop good software with good
documentation.

I applaud everyone (I'm not even done reading them all) who defended the
importance of understanding the HOW in developing good user doco. Maybe
not for everyone, but it helps me.

I am going to assume someone also made the point the technical
communicators also often are tasked with helping developers create
technical documentation. At least, those of us who enjoy tech detail and
design often sign up for that work.

And now I'll point to my original discussion that lead to his comment. I
said that I am a BUSINESS ANALYST and was looking for
BA/requirements-management lists. Half my job is TW, the other half is
to, in a Joint Application Development (JAD) environment, facilitate a
team of business owners, SMEs, and tech staff to gather requirements for
products developed via object-oriented technology. My role begins at
project definition and extends all the way through design, testing, and
deployment. I am an expert in OOAD methods.

How did I get that job? Because years ago I was a TW and my company
adopted JAD and OOAD. A key role is that of documentor (because that
frees up BA to facilitate while decisions are captured). I was really,
really good at that because I quickly picked up the principals of UML
and OOAD (and because I'm a reporter who used to cover Congress and I
can listen to hours of arguing yet capture only the important
decisions). Eventually, I was so good at helping with facilitation and
analysis that I was made a BA. When the downsizing came, I could perform
both facilitation and documentation.

Now I have helped bring OOAD and JAD principles, with UML as a modeling
language, to my new company.

Ronica Roth
Business Analyst/Technical Writer
Group Voyagers Inc.