Re: job title nomenclature on biz cards

Subject: Re: job title nomenclature on biz cards
From: bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:34:30 -0400

Quoting Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>:

> Bonnie Granat wrote:
> > David Neeley wrote:
> >
> >>It seems a few of you folks are considerably behind the times. "User
> >>Experience" is an increasingly common field of endeavor in our
> >>Web-based information world. I have reviewed job openings in and
> >>around this area many times over the last several years.
> >>

> > My point (and it was no joke) was that not all companies that need
> > technical writing produce computer hardware or computer software. If
> > Chuck wants to work only in that field, then his job title is grand,
> > because the CEOs in noncomputer-based organizations probably won't
> > understand it.
> >

> Neither developing user assistance (which is far, far more than just
> writing) nor designing the user experience (which is designing
> communication) is limited to computer hardware and software. And CEOs
> rarely create the job requisitions, review the resumes, and make the
> hiring decisions for non-management positions.

Yes, but to many, it's just jargon. The CEO reference was made because of a
(unless I'm misremembering).

In fact, I'd like to add a description of the work I've been doing on my current
project to my resume, but I don't know what to say. I'm making recommendations
about the GUI to my client, and he's making the changes (nearly all of them).
Is that "user experience design"? Will I be snickered at if I put that on my
resume?

Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA