Re: RoboHelp For FrameMaker Discontinued -- Please Help Us Save It

Subject: Re: RoboHelp For FrameMaker Discontinued -- Please Help Us Save It
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:45:07 -0400

I have three different types of help output ... after the template is
created, I push the button, end of story. This is not
ad-hoc-formattings-ville, though I used to have managers who wanted
that. <g> I also *know* what changes in to my template will look like,
without seeing them, sorta the same way I know what <font
color="0000ff">will look like</font> without previewing it. Though, I
do see what you are talking about, RHFM does have a more developed
preview than WWP, I just don't think it's useful in the real world. I
don't mind disagreeing with you over that, but I hardly find that
difference earth-shattering, ground-breaking, or deal-breaking in any
way.

In my experience, print vendors don't really know what "per Adobe" is.
I do know, for a fact, that Veredus will embed fonts in a PDF (though
I don't think it does so by default).

Am not sure about the "non-PostScript font rasterizing," other than to
note that as long as the OTF, TTF, or Type 1 is embedded, it should be
good to go.

Am curious about how Veredus failed in this, what errors came back?

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:05:38 -0700, a5a28818 -at- telus -dot- net
<a5a28818 -at- telus -dot- net> wrote:
> Re the preview, I find it useful as I develop different templates and want to
> see a sample of what is happening before I push the button. If I had only one
> customer who wanted just one type of output, I take your point.
>
> PDFs are supposed to be generated "per Adobe", which means conforming to
> Postscript standards, so non-Postscript font rasterizing inevitably generates
> Postscript errors, which stops the print job. NOT an option.

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com