Re: We capitalize place names

Subject: Re: We capitalize place names
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:02:07 -0400

Zola wrote:
> At 09:40 PM 8/20/2004, written_by -at- juno -dot- com babbled happily:
>
>> We capitalize place names, do we not? Isn't the internet a place?
>> After all, we visit there, we surf there, we build our "homes"
>> there, our homes are invaded and burgled there, we relocate from one
>> domain place to another, and we spend money there. The Internet is
>> just like the place I live in, which is capitalized.
>
> Um... actually, no, not unless it is a specific place.

But he said place NAMES. Yes, we do capitalize place names!

> So:
>
> I like libraries, I found a great book at Anytown Public Library
> I like to visit the city, especially Boston.
> I've stayed at many hotels, my favorite was the Hilton Hotel at Logan
> Airport. I really hate waiting at the airport, though.
>
> ;)
>
> Under this convention, you should not capitalize internet at all
> unless you were speaking of a specific internet like the World Wide
> Web.

In most instances, references to "Internet" mean the WWW. The word is
rarely used to mean a local network, and when it is used that way, the
context makes it clear.

>From an editor's perspective, of course, the thing to do is research and
adopt a style guide such as _Chicago_, and then keep up to date on it:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/cmosfaq/cmosfaq.InternetWebandOtherPost-WatergateConcerns.html

--
Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com